Sunday, August 24, 2008

I AM GEN-X ---AND I AM OK WITH IT
I am a nomad, a “Gen-Xer”, a part of a group known as the “nowhere generation” described as having an “indifference to practically everything on the planet”. ‘ X’ stands for everything or nothing with our motto as “oh well, whatever, never mind”. Generation-X is generally marked by its lack of optimism for the future, nihilism, cynicism, skepticism, alienation and mistrust in traditional values and institutions. The nomads of today or ‘X’ers are a collection of a “generation (that) grew up in a time of drugs, divorce and economic strain . . . They feel paralyzed by the social problems they see as their inheritance: racial strife, homelessness, AIDS, fractured families and federal deficits.” The Closing of the American Mind described X'ers, also known as 13'ers, as mindless, soul-less, and dumb. “Never knowing anything except institutional decline, 13'ers are deeply skeptical about grand policy visions they assume will somehow only add to America’s fiscal debt and social chaos.” “As they see it, other people get benefits, while they pay the bills.” More X'ers believe in UFO’s than in Social Security lasting until they retire”. Lacking a generational core or any sense of collective mission they are accused of having not having a principled inner life and a splintered persona. However, this is a “logical reaction to parental neglect”, being under-protected and under-valued while growing up in an unraveling era. Instability and a wavering family life, plus community and national fracturing was experienced all during our youth. “We are moving beyond cynicism to apathy.” “We do not fuss and fume about our souls… we have retained from childhood the propensity to see through things, and tell the truth with startling frankness.” X'ers have come to expect little of themselves as a generation, and this fact has become part of our collective persona.
In reading The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe, I learned many things about my generation and discovered some things about myself. Initially I felt that I was a member of the “loser” generation. But continuing on, I was opened to realization that I belong to an archetype, ‘Nomadic’, and that my generation does have a place in history. Even though X'ers have been “putdown by a Boomer-dominated media” for their entire lives and have been considered irrelevant, during the time that we are now in, “13’ers could emerge as the leaders of a Crisis-era based on the notion of taking raw action now.” Pragmatic application to seemingly unsolvable problems will be the trademark of this generation in the coming years. “We perceive our civic challenge as some vast, insoluble Rubik’s Cube. Behind each problem lies another problem that must be solved first, and behind that lies yet another, and another, ad infinitum. To fix crime we have to fix the family, but before we do that we have to fix welfare, and that means fixing our budget, and that means fixing our civic spirit, but we can’t do that without fixing moral standards, and that means fixing schools and churches, and that means fixing the inner cities, and that’s impossible unless we fix crime. There’s no fulcrum on which to rest a policy lever. People of all age’s sense that something huge will have to sweep across America before the gloom can be lifted-but that’s an awareness we suppress.”
By learning about circular time, and contrasting it to the linear and chaotic model, it has enabled me to see the patterns and connections that are available to help make sense of the time we are now seated in and the approaching era to come. I feel like my education was a “sort of social studies stew” and could never make sense of history as a unifying story. I was under the impression that time was chaotic and random and this gave me a sense of powerlessness and a dim view of the future. I distinctly remember having a very nihilistic view when I was a teen and believed that the future was not worth contemplating because of impending doom. However, by learning about the seasonality of time and how it naturally progresses from spring to summer to fall and winter, I have gained a sense of power and belief that the future can be something to look forward to if I am prepared. My skepticism has been replaced by understanding that throughout time people have been put in place to guide the footsteps of history and have altered the course of impossible odds to bring about a resolution to the chilly winds of winter during a crisis era. I hope that I am one of those people. I want to keep the fires burning during the bitter crisis and sow the seeds of hope in the spring.
I was pessimistic about my generation until I learned that many great men of the past have fit within the nomad archetype. George Washington is the epitome of a pragmatic leader who endured to win. Patrick Henry was a fire-brand who shook the fear from people as he declared “give me liberty or give me death”. Ethan Allen was one of the bravest patriots ever seen in America. By gaining understanding about archetypes, turnings, and the saeculum, I have been assured that the seasons of time have a pattern that can be looked to and used to prepare for the future events.
“They (Gen-X) possess only a hazy sense of their own identity but a monumental preoccupation with all the problems the preceding generation will leave for them to fix. By whatever name, so far they are an unsung generation, hardly recognized as a social force or even noticed much at all.” Even though that may be the case, Gen-X'ers will be prepared to emerge as leaders during the crisis because of the survivalist, realism and pragmatic leadership they have. Urgent necessity of the crisis will lend new meaning to the lives of Gen-X. “They will provide the on-site tacticians and behind-the-scenes bosses whose decisions will determine its day-to-day course.”
By becoming aware of the characteristics of Gen-X and the nomad archetype, I have learned a lot about myself and the role my generation has to play in history. I used to tremble at the thoughts of an unavoidable crisis, but now I am looking forward to winter. Even though the winds of change howl outside of my windows, I am secure in knowing that I can fulfill my part in history within my sphere of influence. By teaching my hero children about their role and by accepting and believing in my generation, I hope to enter the crisis and climax strong and determined to make it a better world as we enter a new gate in history. In addition, as I endure the crucible of adversity with my family, I hope to be able to stand firm in the conviction that I know spring is on the way and prepare the ground for future generations. Copyright L.L. Williams

No comments: