Monday, October 6, 2008

7-Habits

“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.” (Henry David Thoreau)

I have been applying the 7-Habits this summer while training for a marathon with my husband. I never believed that I would actually train and run a marathon. It always sounded like a neat thing to do, but way too hard for me. Yet, I was so inspired by the different people I watched cross the finish line in October of 2007, in particular a man pushing a wheel-chair-bound boy whom I supposed had cerebral-palsy, that I just wanted to become a better person and reach out for a difficult challenge and conquer it. I didn’t realize how hard it would be, but the journey has taught me a lot about myself.

“Difficult experiences become the crucibles that forge our character and develop the internal powers; the freedom to handle difficult circumstances in the future and to inspire others to do so as well.” (Stephen R. Covey)

By taking a proactive approach to the training that was required, I made myself be more agreeable and a better running partner. In the beginning of our training I complained a lot about how hard it was and how much I ached…and that was only doing 2 or 3 miles. But I realized my mistake and decided to be proactive by not whining. I found that listening to music and/or a book on my MP3 player is a good distraction. I also developed the habit of being proactive by making and keeping commitments to myself. It was a big challenge some mornings, but I kept my promise and was blessed by witnessing some amazing sunrises.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

I had an idea of the result I wanted…..complete 26.2 miles. But by “beginning with the end in mind” it has helped to make my vision clear of what I want to accomplish. It is not just a physical goal of conditioning my body to run that far, but also a mental goal of conquering my inner doubts. I have envisioned running across the finish line and by doing this, it has pushed my motivation and kept it up when the thoughts of the race become overwhelming. Mission statements and the reason for what you are doing is a powerful force which keeps you on the road you want to follow.

“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.” (Goethe)

Putting “first things first” is discipline of time management that I have wrestled with. But like Covey says, it is discipline that comes from within. Integrity develops when you make and keep commitments, first to yourself. By opening your eyes to what is important, not important, urgent and not urgent, you can focus your activities on things of lasting value. I have learned to prioritize my time and recognize the power of an hour. I have been using the Quadrant tool which has helped me immensely because it is like a map and helps me see the direction I am going. It also helps me have balance, flexibility, and adaptability.

“We have committed the Golden Rule to memory; let us now commit it to life.” (Edwin Markham)

Win/Win as a personal philosophy takes courage. For example, during some of our runs together, I would feel like a loser because I am so much slower than my husband; however, he never made me feel this way…it was all my perception. I needed to realize that we are both in a partnership and that we can compensate for each other’s weaknesses. I may be slower, but I provide splendid company and humorous commentary. He on the other hand is a great coach and helps me recognize progress that I don’t see in myself. So it’s a win/win situation. I like this habit.

“The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of.” (Pascal)

Empathic listening and seeking to understand opens “soul to soul flow”. It is the bridge between people that is built with respect, patience, and empathy. I have appreciated this more and more during our training because I know that my husband really listens with intent. He wants to be sure that I am dealing with the pain, but not injuring myself. He listens and also watches. I am grateful.

“We seek not to imitate the masters, rather we seek what they sought.” (Eastern Philosophy)

Synergy is a real phenomenon that is hard to describe because it is beyond observation, but it exists nonetheless. I don’t know how I can do a wind sprint at the end of a long run, but when I know that I am close to my goal and my husband says, “Let’s go for it”, I am able to get the energy to run a little harder. It is like a spark that kindles a little flash of momentum. When I was on my own this rarely happened, so I know that shared goals can reach further heights. It is empowering to have support and when creative powers are mixed, synergy occurs.

“I rejoice in life for its own sake.” (George Bernard Shaw)

By running, I have found the physical exercise is only one dimension of the whole. There is also a mental, emotional, and even spiritual aspect of it. It has become a way for me to “sharpen the saw.” I have come to enjoy the time spent in the early morning hours with the quiet, still air and to breathe in the sweet smell of fresh cut hay. It is inspiring to watch the sun rise and feel the rays warm my face. I feel alive when I run and it helps me appreciate the gifts I have been given ---my physical health, my relationships, and my love for God. I’ve also decided that running is a metaphor of life. It has helped me realize that the journey on earth is a steady, continual process that is full of surprises. If I keep up with the regimen of training and apply correct principles, then eventually I will make it to the finish line. I may not have the easiest time and there are obstacles and pain to overcome, but I know that I made a commitment and was able to see it through. The victory will be cherished.

Copyright L.L. Williams

P.S. I finished my first marathon on October 4, 2008. It took me 5 hours but I crossed the finish line!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It brought tears to my eyes to read about your preperation for the marathon. I have always admired you for your determation and grit, but you have climed to a whole other level. BRAVO!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

This is very inspiring. I would love to sit down and talk about it with you some time. I amire you for your strength and determination and ability to accomplish and learn new things. Not only in running, but canning, planting a garden and many other things I would like to learn. You are a great example and I'd love to learn more from you in person some day.